Monday, November 28, 2011

I just posted my first weight loss numbers. Although the posting says that I lost 3 pounds in a week, it was more like a week and a half, since I've been lazy updating the info. I am really happy about my progress. I sometimes start to think that my weight loss is nothing but a drop in the ocean, since I still have another 45 pounds to lose. It is true that 45 pounds is a lot. Try lifting a 1-pound bag of flour (or sugar, which is more the case with me!), and feel how heavy it is. Then multiply that by 45, and you have the extra weight on my body! It is quite incredible to think about how much is in a pound. Nevertheless, I refuse to let negative thoughts control my actions. I recently read how a renowned bariatric doctor claims that "the key to weight loss is knowing your personality". I absolutely agree. One must know ones strengths and weaknesses. In my case, I have to take care not to let negative feelings overwhelm me. I can't lose this battle on the grounds that "it's too big of a struggle". I can't fall into self-hatred. Instead, I will take pride in every pound I lose. I will remember that each pound is the equivalent of a heavy bag of flour! I will also keep in mind, that losing weight consists of a series of small victories, that eventually culminate in one huge victory. That is simply how it works, and one must strive to achieve the little victories, one by one.
Another thing that I find helpful is to show myself some love. Under normal circumstances. showing myself love would mean eating a bag of peanut butter m&m's and some cookie dough ice cream. But that is cheap, worthless love! The real way to show yourself love is to take care of yourself. Exercise when possible, do your hair and make-up to feel and look beautiful, put on some body lotion after a hot bath.
I am not going to lose this battle. I will continue the struggle, one small victory at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment